Monday, April 5, 2010

Week 15 training and notes.




I can't believe I've been at this for 15 weeks now. If this were a "conventional" marathon training plan (the sort one does at first), I'd be "ready" to run a marathon next week. (I say this because most training programs are 16-weeks long.) Yet, I couldn't feel less ready. I have so much work yet to do; and yet, I'm amazed at the progress I've made so far. Tempo runs once "scared" me almost to the point of not being able to do them, whereas this week I was able to complete an 8-mile tempo at a 6:46 pace-- a feat I haven't been capable of doing for well over a year. It feels so wonderful to return to "running shape."

I've learned, however, to keep my mouth shut in regards to the weather. Last week was beautiful and I wrote as much in my blog. This week, however, has been a nightmare. As you can see by my picture with Jacques C. (taken on Easter), Tahoe has once again become a landscape of clean white with no patches of hopeful brown. My parents in Reno told me they have tulips coming up-- the only thing we have "sprouting" up here is a slight malaise by everyone who wants spring to come (whether they admit to it or not.)

Yet, mere snow can't keep me from running. I'll happily treadmill train, if that's what it takes, to get me back into race shape.

Speaking of which, I have a race this coming week: April 11th in South Sacramento. I hope to better the time I got in Davis nearly two months ago. I have a feeling I will, but I've learned to have a certain respect for the sport: you can never really know what will happen in any given race. I know my training has gone well and that I'm (knock on wood) still not injured. So, it seems fair to hope for a PR performance. We'll see, however.

*

Monday, 3/29: 16 miles @ 7:46 pace. Windy with a headwind both ways. I also had a major "bonk" at mile 13/14. If I'd kept going strong, I might have bettered my pace (the last time I did it, I ran that distance in 7:41 x mile pace.)

Tuesday, 3/30: 6.75 miles in the AM oiutside in the snowy ,cold world. I ran around the streets of the neighborhood on Dollar Hill. Visibility was so bad I could hear the lake next to me, but could not see it. 7.75 miles in the PM on the treadmill in TC because I felt bad about not running very "fast" this morning.

Wednesday, 3/31: 8 miles on the treadmill in TC.

Thursday, 4/1: 10 miles on the treadmill in TC which included my first "timed runs" workout. I would have much rather done this workout outside... but-- sigh-- the snow. The snow. The workout consisted of: 8 x 4' reps then 4 x 10" hills. Pace for the four-minute efforts were (all with a 1.5% grade): 7', 6:58, 6:58, 6:53, 6:53, 6:44, 6:44, 6:39.

Friday, 4/2: 10 miles in Reno before the crazy storm. Average: 7:37 x mile pace which felt easy save for moments when the wind blustered. Both shins hurt after but my shoes felt really tight the entire time and once I got them off my feet, the pain subsided.

Saturday, 4/3: 9.5 miles total; 8-mile tempo run along the Truckee River path in Reno. Average pace: 6:46 pace. I was so happy-- this is by far my most successful tempo run yet.

Sunday, 4/4: 7 miles on the treadmill in Tahoe City. Easy @ 7.6 mph (7:53 pace with 1.5% grade.) Abs after. Overall, I feel good-- no, great-- about my work this week.

Weekly total: 75 miles

No comments: