Friday, May 14, 2010

And Coach Eckland comes to be.

There's something about seeing a thing in print that makes it more real. Up until now, it seemed as though the adventure ahead--Moraga, the MFA, coaching--were things I conjured in a dream which came as a result of eating spicy food.

Doubt, of course, has risen its head again, asking me: "Can you do it, Eckland?" And I suppose there's only one way to find out. The funny thing is, I know I can do it, because, well I just will.I know this because during a recent-- and difficult-- tempo run, I wanted to simply quit. Yet I chanted to myself: "Kirk [my coach at UNR] doesn't coach quitters." And you know, I didn't quit. It wasn't an act of bravery or greatness-- it was just a normal workout. But there's something to that-- wanting to quit (or being afraid you're going to) and then pushing through regardless.

So watch out, Moraga. Rebecca's coming to run and write.



Cross Country Announces the Hiring of New Assistant Coaches - St. Mary's College

1 comment:

elaine said...

DUDE I'm totally calling you "Coach Eckland" from here on out! :D That is awesome!

Also: You ran a marathon in 2:54?!?!?!? HOLY SHIT.

You really should sing your own praises more often, you are incredible!