Monday, May 3, 2010

Turning vinegar into wine: musings on my silly injury.


I'm sure you remember (from a previous post) my silly injury: I rolled my ankle at work and so, I haven't been able to run much. Last week, I did 39.25 miles (pretty good considering this is a mere 4 weeks since I couldn't run at all) and felt fantastic. To make up for the missing miles, however, I've been spinning-- (see photo above if you're interested in the "type" of stationary bike used)-- to get my heart rate where running used to (no easy task.) As I also mentioned, I have been offered a position teaching spinning classes every Monday night at the local gym. And you know, though I'm not really certified to do this (yes, you do have to be certified) I decided to do it anyway. And you know, I'm really glad I did.

I just finished my third spin class and my students had nothing but good things to say. "I love the way you structure workouts" they said (workouts taken from my running schedule and converted to a bike) "I looove your music" they said, when I was worried no one would like my quirky playlist which included hits from the 80s, current popular songs and a few techno re-mixes for good measure (I'll include the playlist from tonight's class below.) But what has been so brilliant is the way this is not only helping my ankle mend, but that it may (or will-- come on, let's be positive) help me fund my upcoming stay in Moraga, CA where I'll be working toward an MFA in creative non-fiction. (I love when my athletics and literary impulses come together in scintillating loveliness.) And so without further ado, here is what I'm talking about-- here is, in other words, what is says on that large jar which sits next to my spin bike in front of the class:



I hope you're smiling right now, because I am. I don't know if it will work-- i.e., if I'll make enough money to really make a difference in the cost of tuition. All I know is that I'm having fun and getting healthy and strong. And those are two things that are priceless. 

Spin Clas #3 playlist:

1. Praise You, Fatboy Slim
2. The Fame, Lady Gaga
3. Hung Up, Madonna
4. She Wolf Shakira
5. Call on Me (remix), Eric Prydz
6. In My Head, Jason Derulo
7. Crazy, Alanis Morissette
8. Number One, Chax Jankel*
9. Replay, Iyaz
10. Release Me, Agnes
11. There She Goes, My Beautiful World, Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds
12. Amazing (remix), Seal
13. Break your Heart, Taio Cruz (feat. Ludacris)
14. Move your Body, Eiffel 65
15. Alive, Black Eyed Peas
16. Cupid's Chokehold, Gym Class Heros



* (which is, consequently, the song I would use for a training montage, if there is indeed ever a film made about me. :) It's OK to dream, right?

No comments: