Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Week 10 training and notes.

Here is my cat, Jacques, sleeping. This is how I felt after many of this week's workouts. I think a certain measure of fatigue is normal in any training regimen. I'm actually grateful for the sound sleep I've been getting. Steve calls it my "coma sleep."


I can't believe I've been at this for 10 weeks now. Looking back, it doesn't quite seem that long. I can feel myself becoming a more efficient runner-- long runs don't feel so long and I notice I can sprint slightly farther uphill than the week before.

There are changes in my body composition as well. I haven't weighed myself, but I can only say I feel as though I've gained quite a bit of muscle and lost just a smidge of that softness that comes from not working out.

I still have a long way to go, however. I'm disappointed, in a way, in what seems to be my "slow" progress. Coach E says I'm actually progressing quite quickly and so perhaps, for once, I'll listen to someone who knows more than I when it comes to training physiology.

Monday, 2/22: 9 miles on the treadmill in TC in roughly 70 minutes. I felt good-- no issues.

Tuesday, 2/23: 16 miles in the AM in 2:03 which is a 7:43 pace (done outside in Reno.) Woot, says I. Also my last mile was NOT my slowest. That's a HUGE accomplishment for me. Then, 3.5 slow and easy miles in the PM on the treadmill in TC followed by weights focusing on: calfs, back, chest and shoulders. I was beat-- but in a good way.

Wednesday, 2/24: 7 miles in the AM with weights focusing on my legs: good morning sunshines, quad extensions, hamstring curls, and calf rasies. Core workout: curl ups, reverse sit ups, crunches, bicycles, froggies, planks, superman and then, if that wasn't enough, I also did Bikram yoga.

Thursday, 2/25: 11.37 miles including hill sprints: 10 x 20' efforts and 1 x 60' which nearly killed me. I felt as though I had NO legs today at all. I'm uber sore from yesterday, but happy to have run outdoors.

Friday, 2/26; 8 miles on the treadmill in TC. Then, pushups on the Bosu ball (3 x 15), dips, pull-ups calf extensions, curl ups (4 x 15), crunches, bicycles, and planks.

Saturday, 2/27: 10 miles in 1:14 in Reno. It felt awesome-- like I wasn't even trying at all. The road pulled me forward and I let it. Go me!!

Sunday, 2/28: 7 miles on the treadmill in Tahoe City before work. For some reason, I feel so lazy doing only that.

Weekly total: 71.8 miles.

No comments: