Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Davis Stampede, 10k

Me, before the race at about 7:30 am. I haven't even put on my racing flats yet.



This is where we went to get the race packets. I realized, looking at the crowd, that this was NOT a Reno running event. For the 10k alone, there were 973 participants. That doesn't include the numbers from the 5k and 1/2 marathon.



Here I am, doing strides, finally. After 1.2 miles of easy jogging, 4 bathroom breaks, I finally put on my "blue suede shoes" (my race flats). I had about 10 minutes until the start. I was so nervous I couldn't even look at the start line (which was in the direction I was running.)



At the starting line. I'm the girl with the pigtails in the blue. I was so nervous-- and disappointed there were so many people that I couldn't get any closer to the start line. 



The gun's gone off and I'm setting my Garmin. All those men around me proved a difficult challenge: they elbowed me in the chest and face, in addition to running uber slow. I had to move to the shoulder of the road to bypass the crowd. It's a lesson learned: no tempo workouts for races; or, no starting back with the masses.




And... we're off! I've disappeared in the crowd and from this moment until the finish line, I realized just how much I forgot about competitive running. 




Me at the finish line. I remember telling myself to maintain proper form, to continue breathing, and to ignore the blisters on my feet. Funny that one can start a race with so many other people and literally finish alone.



Results from Davis Stampede 10k event:

Time: 40:20
Place overall: 21/973 total participants
Place women: 5
Place age division: 2
Total blisters accumulated: 2 (but were so big I might venture to say that each counted three a piece for a grand total of six)

2 comments:

elaine said...

Oooh, nice racing flats! And great running photos. I can't believe people were elbowing your face at the start. Talk about freaking rude.

Rebecca A. Eckland said...

Well, E, I'm pretty pushy myself at the beginning of a race. :) I'm sure they didn't mean to hit me; there were just so many people in a relatively small area, so contact was inevitable.